Sociology offers a wide range of career possibilities since concerns over issues like the environment, urban development, health, aging and a competitive global economy have increased the demand for social scientists and trained evaluators. The Department of Sociology provides curriculum and training to prepare students to meet this need.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- background course work in sociological theory, statistics, SPSS, and social research. Read additional information below.
Review the instructions for submitting your official transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE scores not required
- statement of purpose (two pages, double-spaced with your full name and contact information) describing your personal and career goals. Include your academic interests and the relationship of this graduate degree to your life/personal goals. Also, discuss why you are interested in this particular graduate program and explain your career goals after earning the degree.The Graduate Admissions Committee will evaluate the following:
- Did you demonstrate a familiarity with the field?
- Did you indicate your strengths (background, experience, training, and education)?
- Did you express why the program will hone your skills?
- Did your statement show excellence or promise in writing skills?
- three letters of recommendation from individuals knowledgeable about your academic ability and promise as a scholar
Review the instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU) to submit your documents. You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
If you do not meet the scores above, you may qualify for English-based conditional admission if you meet the minimum scores below:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 59 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 5.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 5.5
Review the instructions for submitting your official test scores.