We are dedicated to helping you get the most out of your graduate studies. Consider this your one-stop shop for finding professional development, funding, student services and other useful guides and policies:
With the cost of education continually rising, The Graduate College is committed to keeping you informed about available funding opportunities. Not only do we offer several internal scholarships and fellowships, but we also have an in-house external funding coordinator dedicated to helping students secure external funding opportunities for graduate study, thesis/dissertation research and other projects.
- Graduate College and Celebrity Classic Scholarships (self-nominated) help students with intellectual, creative and leadership promise to complete their degree.
- Thesis/Dissertation Research Support Fellowships (self-nominated) support original graduate student research by covering research-related expenses.
- Doctoral and Graduate Merit Fellowships (faculty-nominated) are prestigious awards intended for use in recruiting students of the highest quality to Texas State programs.
- Graduate Student Travel Funds support student travel to professional conferences to present research and creative projects. The Graduate College partially funds two student conference travel requests per year.
We encourage you to explore the additional funding opportunities that may also be available within your college and/or academic department. Many programs also offer a limited number of graduate-level research, instructional and teaching assistantship positions.
Professional and Academic Development
Our objectives as a student-centered support office include reinforcing and expanding your academic and professional experience on campus and providing opportunities to meet graduate students in other areas of study. Through the services listed below, we aim to provide training in skills that transcend disciplinary boundaries and challenge you intellectually while preparing you for leadership positions in academia and beyond.
- Graduate College Shop Talks are professional developmental workshops that provide presentations in key areas of your “shop”, i.e., degree. Topics include strategies for efficient degree completion, research support and career planning.
- The Annual International Research Conference for Graduate Students gives you an opportunity to build your presentation skills and your résumé by presenting original research to the community of scholars and professionals at Texas State.
- The 3MT® competition is a research communication competition that prepares you to present a brief but compelling oration on your research and its significance to a non-specialist audience. The skills learned in this competition relate directly to job interviews, funding applications and interactions with individuals outside of academia.
You can experience further development through participation in the Graduate House of Texas State Student Government, as well as through internships and study abroad.
The Graduate Catalog contains vital policy information:
- enrollment eligibility
- course load minimum/maximums
- degree completion time frame
- degree audit
- change of major/minor
- thesis and dissertation
- graduation requirements
- meningitis immunization
Familiarizing yourself with these policies and others explained in the catalog will empower you to make effective decisions throughout your course of study.
Other Texas State Support Offices and Services
We know you must have more questions, and we are pleased to offer answers! You will find more helpful information in our online orientation. In addition to The Graduate College, there are other offices on campus dedicated to various aspects of student life and to providing quality services to students.
We want to keep you in the loop!
Our primary form of communication, GradBulletin, will be sent every week to your Texas State University email account. The GradBulletin features important information related to your degree including scholarship opportunities, deadline reminders, workshop topics and other events in the Texas State graduate community.
We supplement the GradBulletin with other campus announcements, events and opportunities via our social media accounts. Follow or like us to stay informed!