Rhetoric and Composition
The Texas State MARC program ranks among the top nationwide with award-winning faculty and commitment to student success. Students develop unique programs of study combining foundational knowledge with focused study in areas ranging from minority and feminist rhetorics to digital literacies, writing for social justice, and writing center studies.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
This program has a flexible deadline.
Applications must be complete by the priority deadline to be considered for certain types of funding. Read additional information about departmental funding opportunities.
This program reviews applications on a rolling basis.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- minimum 3.0 GPA in 12 or more hours of undergraduate English course work
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE scores not required
- portfolio (submit the following items as a single PDF document):
- statement of purpose
- at least two non-fiction documents (combined minimum of 15 pages, double-spaced) consisting of at least one academic research paper written for an undergraduate or graduate course
- cover letter explaining when and for whom the submitted writing samples were written and discussing why they have been included as representative work
- three letters of recommendation
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.
If you are applying for a departmental graduate assistantship (IA/TA), you must submit required materials for both the rhetoric and composition program and the IA/TA position by January 15 for the following academic year. Letters of recommendation should describe your potential as a writing instructor, including experience teaching, tutoring, or editing if you are applying for a graduate assistantship.