Students in the literature program have the extraordinary opportunity to hear and meet a wide variety of writers. Most authors stay for a few days, giving readings, attending receptions, visiting classes, and meeting with graduate students. Other major writers join the faculty for two-year terms.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
This program has a flexible deadline.
Applications must be complete by the priority deadline to be considered for funding. Read additional information about departmental funding opportunities below.
This program reviews applications on a rolling basis.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- minimum 3.25 GPA in a minimum of 24 hours of undergraduate English, including at least 12 advanced hours
If your English GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.25, official GRE scores and additional documents are required. Read additional information below.
Review the instructions for submitting your transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if admission is granted.
- additional documents not required unless your English GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.25. Read additional information below.
Review the instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU) to submit your documents. You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Non-native English speakers who do not qualify for an English proficiency waiver:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review the instructions for submitting your official test scores.
GPA and Additional Requirements
If your English GPA falls between 3.0 and 3.25, please submit the following items in order to be considered for conditional admission*:
- official GRE scores with a preferred minimum of 160 in the verbal section
- two letters of recommendation
- writing sample of non-fiction prose, preferably literary analysis
*Conditional admission is not available to applicants who require "F" or "J" visas.
If you are applying for a departmental graduate assistantship (IA/TA), you must submit required materials for both the literature program and the IA/TA position by January 15 for the following academic year.