Texas State’s Department of Computer Science is known for cutting-edge curricula, a dedicated faculty and well-equipped and remotely accessible laboratory facilities. Combined, these elements provide students with hands-on experience while implementing classroom concepts, providing the specialized training graduates need to land the best jobs.
|Degree||Concentration||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|M.A.||No concentration||36||Non-Thesis||Minor required|
|M.A.||No concentration||30||Thesis||Minor required|
|M.S.||No concentration||36||Non-Thesis||Minor required within the College of Science|
|M.S.||No concentration||30||Thesis||Minor required within the College of Science|
|M.S.||No concentration||36||Non-Thesis||No minor required|
|M.S.||No concentration||30||Thesis||No minor required|
|M.S.||Data Science||36||Non-Thesis||No minor required|
|Texas State Round Rock Campus
This program can be completed in Round Rock, though taking courses in both San Marcos and Round Rock will result in quicker degree completion.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
- $55 nonrefundable application fee
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- background course work
Read additional information about the diagnostic interview.
- official GRE (general test only) required with competitive scores in the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections
The GRE may be waived if you hold a master's or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited U.S. institution. If you hold a master's or doctoral degree (or the equivalent thereof) from an accredited international institution, the GRE may be waived on an individual basis.
*Due to COVID-19 and testing center closures, GRE not required for Fall 2020 applicants.
- statement of purpose
- three letters of recommendation
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
If you are accepted to the program, you will participate in a diagnostic interview with the graduate advisor. This interview will include a review of test scores, grades, and work history. In some cases, additional courses may be added to your degree program.