What is professional service?
Professional service is an opportunity to get involved with the graduate community on campus and an important part of building your resume/CV. The Graduate College is excited to provide opportunities for graduate students to develop skills by engaging in professional service on campus.
The only requirement is that you are a current graduate student at Texas State University.
- network with other graduate students
- acquire experience working within various aspects of higher education
- create a service record to be listed on your resume/CV
- gain insight into the inner-workings of small and large-scale events
- connect with Texas State faculty and staff
Professional service opportunities revolve around the many small and large-scale events hosted by The Graduate College, including New Graduate Student Orientation, the International Research Conference for Graduate Students, Graduate Student Appreciation Week, The Three Minute Thesis (3MT®) Competition, graduate recruiting events, and over 75 professional development workshops. Types of opportunities include:
- moderate a panel (students, faculty, and/or staff presenters)
- serve as a panelist sharing your experiences
- review abstracts for the research conference
- guide students that require accommodations
- present to prospective graduate students
- write a blog about an aspect of your experience in graduate school at Texas State
- assist with various aspects of large events such as check-in, set up, and event management
Taking advantage of these opportunities will expand your network, provide valuable contributions to your graduate community, and allow you to include service experiences on your resume/CV.
How it Works
If you are interested in participating in professional service opportunities, please follow the steps below.
- Complete the registration form which will place you on an exclusive list to be contacted for upcoming opportunities.*
- Check your email for opportunities and sign up for those you are interested in.
- Show up and have fun! And, don't forget to add your service to your resume/CV!
We will email all registered students each semester to provide an opportunity to opt-out of the list for professional service opportunities. You will remain on the list each semester until you opt-out.
*You can register at any time; registration is always open as we are always looking for assistance.
If you require accommodations due to a disability in order to participate, please contact 512.245.2281 at least 72 hours in advance of the event.
Texas State is a tobacco-free campus.