With occupations changing to include environmentally conscious knowledge, “green” vocations are in higher demand. The need for environmental protection services is creating excellent job opportunities for those with advanced degrees. The graduate degrees in sustainability studies prepare committed leaders to address emerging sustainability issues.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
This program has a flexible deadline, which means applications received after the posted deadline may be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, with no guarantees for admission consideration.
Applications must be complete by the priority deadline to be considered for certain types of funding.
This program reviews applications on a rolling basis.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
- $55 nonrefundable application fee
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- GRE not required
- statement of purpose (approximately two pages, double-spaced with your full name and contact information) regarding your interest in pursuing the M.A. or M.S. degree and describing your personal and career goals. Include your academic interests and the relationship of this graduate degree to your life/personal goals. Also, discuss why you are interested in the particular graduate program and explain your career goals after earning the degree. The Graduate Admissions Committee evaluates the following:
- Do you demonstrate a familiarity with the field?
- Does your statement indicate your strengths (background, experience, training, and education)?
- Do you indicate why our program will hone your skills?
- Does the statement show excellence or promise in writing skills?
- three letters of recommendation from professionals competent to assess your interest in pursuing a career in this field of study. Two of the three letters must be from someone who can assess your academic accomplishments and/or potential in the program.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
If you do not meet the scores above, you may qualify for English-based conditional admission if you meet the minimum scores below:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 59 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 5.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 5.5