The dynamic and highly-regarded faculty guide graduate students in learning, research and scholarship at the beautiful San Marcos campus, convenient to the Austin and San Antonio metro areas. Evening classes enable professionals to complete their degree. The program also offers graduate assistantships in teaching, editing and study abroad.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|M.A.||33||Non-Thesis||No minor; internship required|
|M.A.||33||Non-Thesis||No minor; additional six hours of Spanish courses required|
|M.A.||36||Non-Thesis||Minor & internship required|
|M.A.||36||Non-Thesis||Minor & additional six hours of Spanish courses required|
This program has a flexible deadline, which means applications received after the posted deadline may be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, with no guarantees for admission consideration.
Applications must be complete by the priority deadline to be considered for certain types of funding.
This program reviews applications on a rolling basis.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
- $55 nonrefundable application fee
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- minimum 3.0 GPA in 12 or more upper division undergraduate hours in Spanish, including six hours of Spanish literature
- GRE not required
- resume/CV including contact information for three references, at least two of whom should be professors familiar with your academic work
- statement of purpose written in Spanish explaining your professional and personal interest in the M.A. in Spanish
- two letters of recommendation
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.