Secondary Education (Teacher Recruitment Program)
Texas State University’s specialized concentration, referred to as the Teacher Recruitment Program (TRP), began in 2001 as an ideal entry for second-career considerations. Students on this path may receive their certification after two semesters of field-based and academic course work and complete their master’s degree while earning a teacher’s salary.
|Degree||Certification Program||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|M.Ed.||Student-selected||36||Non-Thesis||Composite – Secondary Education TRP Required|
|Certification Plan Information
If you are admitted to this program, please contact the Office of Educator Preparation for your certification plan. If you are seeking teacher certification without a master's degree, please review the stand-alone teacher certification information.
|Texas State Round Rock Campus
This program can be completed in Round Rock, though taking courses in both San Marcos and Round Rock will result in quicker degree completion.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
- $40 nonrefundable application fee
- $50 nonrefundable international credential fee (if applicable)
Effective Fall 2019 and beyond
- $55 nonrefundable application fee
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
Review important information about application fee(s).
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE not required
Documents & Other Requirements
- interview with graduate advisor
- statement of purpose
- three forms of recommendation
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- official TOEFL iBT scores with minimum individual scores of
- 22 listening
- 22 reading
- 24 speaking
- 21 writing
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.