To ensure that students’ music education is well-rounded and creatively inspired, Texas State offers a large variety of performing opportunities, including participation in opera productions, choir, orchestra, concert and marching bands, chamber ensembles, award-winning mariachi and salsa ensembles and other vibrant cultural music groups.
|Degree||Concentration||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|M.M.||Choral Conducting||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.M.||History and Literature||36||Thesis||No minor|
|M.M.||Instrumental Conducting||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.M.||Jazz Performance||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.M.||Keyboard, String or Guitar Performance||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.M.||Latin Music Performance||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.M.||Performance and Pedagogy||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.M.||Voice Performance||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.M.||Woodwind, Brass or Percussion Performance||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
This program has a flexible deadline, which means applications received after the posted deadline may be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, with no guarantees for admission consideration.
Applications must be complete by the priority deadline to be considered for certain types of funding.
This program reviews applications on a rolling basis.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
- $55 nonrefundable application fee
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree in music from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- background course work in music
- GRE not required
Documents & Other Requirements
- audition/portfolio and interview (Requirements vary by concentration. Visit the department's website for detailed instructions.)
- resume/CV (maximum three pages) including name, address, email address, education (degrees or special certifications), professional experience, scholarship awards, special recognitions, articles or presentations, selected community activity, and other information pertinent to the desired degree and concentration
- statement of purpose (400-600 words with your name and email in the header) addressing the following:
- What experiences have you had in your selected music concentration?
- What qualities, values, characteristics, and/or skills do you possess that make you a strong candidate for your selected program at Texas State?
- What do you hope to gain from the program, and how does this relate to your personal and professional goals?
- Discuss your plans to pursue doctoral studies as well, if applicable.
- three letters of recommendation
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
If you do not meet the scores above, you may qualify for English-based conditional admission if you meet the minimum scores below:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 59 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 5.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 5.5