Matriculating within a cohort, students develop a deepened sense of community and collaborative learning. As the only therapeutic recreation program in the state, students have the opportunity to collaborate with professionals in a variety of service settings and consistently pass the national certification exam at a rate that exceeds the national average.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
This program has a flexible deadline, which means applications received after the posted deadline may be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, with no guarantees for admission consideration.
Applications must be complete by the priority deadline to be considered for certain types of funding.
This program reviews applications on a rolling basis.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- background courses required in:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Human Growth and Development Across the Lifespan
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE not required
- statement of purpose (maximum 500 words) addressing the following:
- What experiences have led you to pursue graduate studies in therapeutic recreation?
- What qualities, values, characteristics do you possess that will enable you to meet the academic rigors of graduate education?
- What are your career goals relating to obtaining a master’s degree?
Review important information about documents.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.