Materials Science, Engineering, and Commercialization
With a focus on applied research, industrial outreach and entrepreneurial training, Texas State is uniquely positioned in the region to offer this combination of skills, providing education with relevance with the materials science, engineering, and commercialization (MSEC) degree. Students gain valuable experience that prepares them for real-world success.
|Degree||Course Work||Dissertation||Total Hours|
|Ph.D.||37 hours||18 hours||55 hours|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- master's degree in biology, chemistry, engineering, materials science, physics, technology, or a closely related field from a regionally accredited university. Read additional information about background course work.
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.5 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in all completed graduate course work
If your master's degree was earned from an institution outside the U.S., official GRE scores are required. Read additional information below.
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
Documents & Other Requirements
- interviews (conducted via phone, internet, or face-to-face) with core doctoral faculty
- statement of purpose outlining your personal history and life goals that are relevant to obtaining a doctoral degree, and, in particular, why you want to pursue the commercialization aspect of the MSEC program
- three letters of recommendation evaluating your skill and potential to be successful in the MSEC Ph.D. program
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.
Degree and GRE Requirement
If your master's degree was earned from an institution outside the U.S., the official GRE (general test only) with competitive scores in the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning sections will be required. Our office will notify you via email should this situation occur.
Background Course Work
You will be required to take leveling courses if you lack sufficient background course work. Any required leveling course work must be completed with grades of B or better prior to admission.
If you are applying for a doctoral teaching assistantship, please submit all of your application materials by March 1.