The nutrition and foods program is housed in a new building and equipped with state-of-the-art equipment including anthropometric instruments, phlebotomy facilities, a serum analyzer and a plethora of molecular biological apparati. Faculty are student-centered and engaged in cutting-edge research that they use to inform their teaching.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree (preferably in nutrition, food science or a related field) from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- background course work in:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Introductory Biology
- Introductory Chemistry (at least two semesters)
- Introductory Nutrition
- Nutrition in the Lifespan
- Organic Chemistry (at least one course)
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE not required
- statement of purpose describing your professional aspirations and rationale for pursuing graduate study
- three letters of recommendation
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.