Geographic Information Science
Geography faculty have been recognized nationally and internationally for both stellar teaching and outstanding research. The department plays key roles in a number of university-wide centers including the Meadows Center for Water and the Environment, the Grosvenor Center for Geographic Education and the Texas Center for Geographic Information Science.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.2 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- background course work
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
Once admitted, M.A.Geo. students wishing to transfer to the M.S. program must complete nine graduate hours with a 3.6 GPA or better and work with the graduate advisor to determine eligibility of transfer.
- statement of purpose identifying your preferred degree and concentration and possible areas of research
- three letters of recommendation
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.