Geographic Information Science
Working closely with a dedicated faculty that is recognized nationally and internationally for its research, mentoring and teaching accomplishments, students embark on a journey of professional development that includes research and teaching opportunities. The department also hosts or plays key roles in several international, national and university-wide research centers.
|Degree||Course Work||Dissertation||Total Hours|
|Ph.D.||31 hours||15 hours||46 hours|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- master's degree in geography or a related field from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.5 GPA in all completed graduate course work
- completion of a master's thesis or demonstrated evidence of scholarly research and writing
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- statement of purpose explaining your reasons for pursuing doctoral study and your academic professional interests and goals
- three letters of recommendation demonstrating adequate subject preparation in content and quality as reflected in your transcripts
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.