Geography faculty have been recognized nationally and internationally for both stellar teaching and outstanding research. The department plays key roles in a number of university-wide centers including the Meadows Center for Water and the Environment, the Grosvenor Center for Geographic Education and the Texas Center for Geographic Information Science.
|Degree||Course Work||Dissertation||Total Hours|
|Ph.D.||31 hours||15 hours||46 hours|
The majority of this program may be offered online. If you are not a Texas resident and will not relocate, please visit the Office of Distance and Extended Learning. International students, please visit the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) regarding additional considerations in taking online courses.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- master's degree in geography or a related field from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.5 GPA in all completed graduate course work
- completion of a master's thesis or demonstrated evidence of scholarly research and writing
Review important information about transcripts.
- statement of purpose explaining your reasons for pursuing doctoral study and your academic professional interests and goals
- three letters of recommendation demonstrating adequate subject preparation in content and quality as reflected in your transcripts
Review important information about documents.
TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official PTE scores required with a 52 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.