Members of the graduate faculty are nationally known for their research, teaching, and service within the profession. Faculty devote time to student-centered learning in classrooms, laboratories and community settings. Facilities include neuromuscular, exercise physiology, biomechanics and sport medicine, motor ability and sport pedagogy laboratories.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
- $40 nonrefundable application fee
- $50 nonrefundable international credential fee (if applicable)
Effective Fall 2019 and beyond
- $55 nonrefundable application fee
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
Review important information about application fees.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
If your last-60-hours GPA is not a 3.0, official GRE (general test only) scores are required. Read additional information below.
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- statement of purpose (approximately 500 words, typed and double-spaced) addressing the following:
- professional goals
- reasons for pursuing education and training in physical education
- summary of major strengths and weaknesses with respect to being admitted into the program
- three letters of recommendation (including at least two academic references) regarding professional competence and character
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.
GPA and GRE Requirement
If your last-60-hours GPA falls below a 3.0, the official GRE (general test only) will be required with competitive scores in the verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning section. Our office will notify you via email should this occur.