Educational Leadership — Principal Certification
This certification program requires 24 hours to complete.
|Fall||No Admission||No Admission|
|Spring||No Admission||No Admission|
|Summer I||May 1||March 15|
|Summer II||No Admission||No Admission|
This program has a flexible deadline, which means applications received after the posted deadline may be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, with no guarantees for admission consideration.
|Professional Certification Exam
You will be eligible to take the Texas Education Agency principal certificate exam upon successful completion of program requirements.
|Texas State Round Rock Campus
This program can be completed in Round Rock, though taking courses in both San Marcos and Round Rock will result in quicker degree completion.
This program does not qualify for financial aid.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
- $35 nonrefundable Texas Education Agency technology fee (if offered admission)
- $20 nonrefundable application fee
- $60 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
Review important information about application fees.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- master's degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA on your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work
If you do not have a master's degree but wish to apply for the principal certification, we encourage you to review the Educational Leadership master's + professional certification program.
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE not required
copy of official teaching certificate documenting initial teaching certification
copy of official teaching record documenting at least one year's teaching experience
Review important information about documents.
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution.
- official TOEFL iBT scores with minimum individual scores of
- 22 listening
- 22 reading
- 24 speaking
- 21 writing
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.