This certificate program will enhance your abilities to analyze arguments, your capacities to reason and express yourself clearly, your leadership skills, and your awareness of the ethical dimensions of work and public life. The certificate is available online or face-to-face and is open to all interested persons who hold a bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 minimum GPA.
The graduate certificate in professional ethics will help you engage more fully with ethical issues in your professional life.
This certificate program requires 12 hours to complete.
Contact The Graduate College for general questions about getting started with your application, funding your degree, and more.
If you have program-specific questions after reviewing the program details, we encourage you to contact the following:
The graduate certificate in professional ethics requires 12 semester credit hours: six hours of required course work (two courses), three hours of a directed PHIL elective, and three hours of elective course work.
- PHIL 5301 Applied Philosophy
- PHIL 5322 Professional Ethics
The directed elective must be chosen from:
- PHIL 5303 Philosophy of Technology
- PHIL 5320 History of Ethics
- PHIL 5323 Environmental Ethics
- PHIL 5327 Medical Ethics and Bioethics
- PHIL 5329 Food Ethics
- PHIL 5360A Ethics and Dementia
- PHIL 5360B Moral Psychology
- PHIL 5360C Philosophy, Nonviolence, Sustainability, and Social Change
- PHIL 5395 Internship in Applied Philosophy
The majority of this program may be offered online. If you are not a Texas resident and will not relocate, please visit the Office of Distance and Extended Learning. International students, please visit the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) regarding additional considerations in taking online courses.
|Fall||June 15||June 1|
|Spring||October 15||October 1|
|Summer I||April 15||March 15|
|Summer II||June 1||No Admission|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.5 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work
- minimum 3.0 GPA in all completed graduate course work (if applicable)
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE not required
- additional documents not required
TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL, PTE, or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official PTE scores required with a 52 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
Review important information about official test scores.