Athletic Training (Professional Master's)
The program is designed as a professional master's curriculum for students seeking to become board-certified. Using a medical-based education model, students are educated to provide comprehensive patient care and complete an extensive clinical learning requirement that is embodied in the clinical integration proficiencies as identified in the Athletic Training Education standards.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|Fall||No Admission||No Admission|
|Spring||No Admission||No Admission|
|Summer I||November 15||November 15|
|Summer II||No Admission||No Admission|
This program has a flexible deadline, which means applications received after the posted deadline may be reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis, with no guarantees for admission consideration.
Applications must be complete by the priority deadline to be considered for certain types of funding.
This program reviews applications on a rolling basis.
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
- $55 nonrefundable application fee
- $90 nonrefundable application fee for applications with international credentials
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from an accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- minimum 3.0 GPA in all background courses
Read additional information about background course work.
Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE not required
- confirmation of 75 observation hours signed by a certified (ATC) and/or licensed (LAT) professional who has guided the observational experiences
- statement of purpose (maximum two pages) discussing why you have chosen to pursue graduate studies in athletic training at Texas State University
- three forms of recommendation
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Background Course Work
As required background coursework, there is a set of 10 pre-requisites that will prepare the student for the rigors of the program. Each of these courses is necessary for a basic understanding of the fundamentals of the various courses that the student will be taking in the professional master's curriculum. The following is the list of pre-requisites that students should have completed in their undergraduate degree:
- Introduction to Nutrition
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introduction to Statistics
- Exercise Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Anatomy & Physiology (with lab)
- Care & Prevention (or equivalent)