The Graduate College is hosting a campus-wide competition for graduate students in which they produce an image directly related to their current research or creative activity accompanied by a title for the work and a brief narrative explaining the relationship of the image to the scholastic work.
Check out visualizing research examples!
Goals + Benefits
- provide an opportunity to think about your research creatively and represent your research visually
- communicate your research or creative activity to a broad audience
- increase awareness of your research or creative activity
- showcase current research projects or creative activities to promote student collaboration between disciplines
How it Works
- Graduate students will submit one original, novel image representing their current research with a corresponding title and a 100-200 word narrative via an online submission form.
- A supervising faculty member or graduate advisor must sign off on the entry to confirm the photo has not been used in previous publications and is not infringing on any copyrights.
- The photo is initially evaluated by Graduate College staff based on relevance to the student’s work (Entries not adhering to guidelines or featuring gratuitous violence or nudity will be disqualified at this point).
- After the contest’s deadline has passed, a committee (or committees, depending on the number of entries) will review the work based on predetermined criteria. See the judging section for more information.
- After voting has concluded, a number of the top entries will be posted for public viewing at the Annual Alkek Wine + Cheese Social on April 6 and at the Round Rock Student Social on April 8, allowing for People’s Choice voting to take place. All winners will be announced at these events.
- Awards will be given in the following categories:
- 1st Place: $500
- Runner-up: $250
- People's Choice San Marcos: $125
- People's Choice Round Rock: $125
- Images will be printed by The Graduate College.
- Submit an image along with a brief narrative explaining the relationship of the image to the scholastic work (200 words or less):
- Image requirements: 3000 pixels, minimum resolution, 300 ppi
- All students must complete the faculty approval form and submit the signed form along with their photo and narrative (This is required due to pending patents).
- If there are recognizable individuals in your photo, you must submit a photo release form for each individual.
- Images will be owned by The Graduate College and can be used for other promotional purposes.
Contact The Graduate College at email@example.com.
If you require accommodations due to a disability in order to participate, please contact 512.245.2281 at least 72 hours in advance of the event.
Texas State is a tobacco-free campus.