Texas State University Logo
Dissertation Defenses
JC Kellam 280
601 University Drive
San Marcos, TX 78666-4684
Ph: (512) 245-2581
Fax: (512) 245-8365
adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size

Steps To Apply


Submit your documents

Documents can be uploaded through our submission form or mailed to the address below:

docsTexas State University
The Graduate College
601 University Dr.
San Marcos, TX 78666-4684

Recommendation letters/forms should be sent from the reference to gradrqmt@txstate.edu
Application fee payments can be submitted securely through our online portal, TouchNet, or mailed via check/money order to the address above. Please make payable to Texas State University. Application fee waivers can be submitted to our office after an application has been submitted.
Please review your program's web page to view their specific requirements. Transcripts should be mailed to the address above or securely sent electronically by your university. Scanned or faxed copies of transcripts will not be considered official.
*International students, permanent residents, and naturalized citizens should review additional requirements here: http://www.gradcollege.txstate.edu/intl_home.html.


Activate your NetID after receiving an email with instructions

Within 24 hours from the time your application has arrived to our office, you will receive an email explaining how to activate your NetID. You cannot check your status online prior to receiving the email.
All admissions communications will be sent to the email address provided on the ApplyTexas application.


Check your status online

It can take 4-6 weeks for a program to make a recommendation on your application after it has reached a complete status. A complete status indicates that all documents have been received in The Graduate College.
Please visit our website, under Step One, for any specific information regarding their decision timeline.
Click here to check your status online.

Expand or Collapse all.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to submit my Texas State transcript?

No, Texas State transcripts are provided.

How do I submit my test scores?

In order to be considered official, the testing center can submit your scores electronically to Texas State by using the code 006667. Please make sure your name and date of birth matches the name you submitted on your ApplyTexas application to prevent any delay.

How long will it take for a decision to be made?

It can take 4-6 weeks from the time your application is complete to receive a recommendation from the department. Some programs have posted specific dates that applications will be reviewed and recommendations will be made. Please visit the program's web page at http://www.gradcollege.txstate.edu/apply for more information.

How long will my documents be retained?

Documents and transcripts submitted without an ApplyTexas application will not be retained. If you submitted an application through ApplyTexas and your other required documents directly to us, we will keep your documents on file for nine months.

How should I submit my forms/letters of recommendation?

Your references should submit their letters of recommendation to gradrqmt@txstate.edu or you may mail them in a sealed envelope to The Graduate College at Texas State University, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, Texas 78666. Remember to review the program’s web page at http://www.gradcollege.txstate.edu/apply to see if they require specific forms to be submitted.

Can I submit the same documents previously submitted for a new application?

We encourage applicants to submit new documents. It is always in your best interest to have the most current information on file. We also highly recommend checking on the Graduate College’s departmental webpage to confirm that the requirements/departmental applications have not changed in any way from the ones you originally submitted. If you still wish to use documents used in prior applications that we still have on file, please send an email to gradcollege@txstate.edu specifying exactly which documents you wish to be reused in satisfying the current application checklist. We will not use old documents without an email from you.

I attended several universities. Do I have to send all my transcripts if the coursework from one school is on another transcript?

Yes, you must provide all transcripts directly from the school where the course(s) were taken. 

Do I need to submit my international transcripts from my study abroad program?

Yes, you must provide all transcripts from all universities, including any non-US universities you attended. If you enrolled directly through an international institution, we will require the official transcript in the country’s native language as well as a certified translation of the transcript into English. Please see http://www.gradcollege.txstate.edu/Prospect_Students/Intl_Info regarding international document requirements.The $50.00 international fee will be required.

If you enrolled through a domestic university to take classes abroad, please request that university send transcripts to The Graduate College. The coursework will be evaluated by Graduate College staff, and you will be contacted if additional information is required. The $50.00 international fee may be required.

How does the process of acceptance work?

Submit your ApplyTexas Application and application fee.  Request scores and transcripts to be submitted directly to the Graduate College.  Other required documents may be electronically submitted to us at http://www.gradcollege.txstate.edu/rqmt.html.  After we receive your admission documents and transcripts, Graduate Admission Specialists will calculate your GPA and Graduate Advisors will submit an admission recommendation to the Graduate College.   The Graduate Dean must concur with the recommendation and all official correspondence will be sent from the Graduate College.  Remember to check your email regularly for correspondence from the Graduate College.

I was admitted for a particular term but never attended. Can I defer my initial admission to a future term?

It is possible to defer admission up to two terms (including summer) for some programs.  Contact The Graduate College at gradcollege@txstate.edu for more information.

I was admitted and attended in a previous term. What can I do to come back?

If it has been less than a year since your last enrollment, the Update Application Form may be used to update registration.  If it has been more than a year since your last enrollment, you must submit a new application and application fee through ApplyTexas.