Graduate students find exceptional resources at their fingertips. With a large full-time faculty, students have the opportunity for a close intellectual exchange with professors. Texas State is also a depository for federal and state government documents as well as a member of the Council of Research and Academic Libraries.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree in political science from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- background course work: political science undergraduate minor or at least nine hours of upper-level course work in political science or related field
If your last-60-hours GPA does not meet the minimum requirement, or you do not have the undergraduate degree, minor, or upper-level course work, official GRE scores are required. Read additional information below.
Review the instructions for submitting your transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if admission is granted.
- statement of purpose (minimum 500 words)
- three letters of recommendation
- writing sample (minimum five pages, double-spaced) from a political science course or social science/humanities course
Review the instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU) to submit your documents. You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Non-native English speakers who do not qualify for an English proficiency waiver:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review the instructions for submitting your official test scores.
GPA/Background Course Work and GRE Requirement
If your last-60-hours GPA does not meet the minimum requirement, or you do not have the undergraduate degree, minor, or upper-level course work, official GRE scores with a preferred minimum of 292 (verbal and quantitative sections combined) and 4.0 in the analytical writing section will be required in order to be considered for conditional admission*. Our office will notify you via email should this occur.
*Conditional admission is not available to applicants who require "F" or "J" visas.