In addition to receiving training in theoretical, experimental and practical aspects of population and conservation science, the program introduces students to contemporary issues in the field through population biology seminars. The seminars allow small groups of students to study closely with faculty members with similar research interests and create a scholarly cohort that becomes an integral component of the scientific community at Texas State.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|M.S.||30–32 hours||Thesis||No minor|
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree in biology or related field from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
Review the instructions for submitting your transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if admission is granted.
- mentor communication (intent to mentor letter) from a Biology Department faculty member. Visit the faculty list for current faculty and their research interests and contact information.
- statement of purpose describing your professional aspirations and rationale for pursuing graduate study
- three letters of recommendation addressing the substance and quality of your preparation for graduate study
Review the instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU) to submit your documents. You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Non-native English speakers who do not qualify for an English proficiency waiver:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
If you do not meet the scores above, you may qualify for English-based conditional admission if you meet the minimum scores below:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 59 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 5.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 5.5
Review the instructions for submitting your official test scores.