Matriculating within a cohort, students develop a deepened sense of community and collaborative learning. As the only therapeutic recreation program in the state, students have the opportunity to collaborate with professionals in a variety of service settings and consistently pass the national certification exam at a rate that exceeds the national average.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each four-year institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
- background courses required in:
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Human Growth and Development Across the Lifespan
Review the instructions for submitting your transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE scores not required
- statement of purpose (maximum 500 words) addressing the following:
- What experiences have led you to pursue graduate studies in therapeutic recreation?
- What qualities, values, characteristics do you possess that will enable you to meet the academic rigors of graduate education?
- What are your career goals relating to obtaining a master’s degree?
Review the instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU) to submit your documents. You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review the instructions for submitting your official test scores.