Chemistry and biochemistry faculty have been recognized nationally and internationally for both stellar teaching and research. Students and faculty actively conduct cutting-edge research funded by the National Science Foundation, the U.S. DoD and the National Institutes of Health. The department is also home to the nationally-recognized Xiphophorus Genetic Stock Center.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree in chemistry from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each four-year institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- statement of purpose discussing your career goals and undergraduate experiences
- two letters of recommendation regarding your academic potential and undergraduate research experience
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.