The Biology Department offers students opportunities to study in the field or in modern facilities with up-to-date instrumentation and resources, including a DNA-sequencing unit, an integrated microscopy facility, high-speed digital networks and computing centers, a GIS lab, greenhouses, wet labs, and extensive plant, animal and paleobotanical collections.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|M.A.||30–31||Thesis||Minor from outside College of Science|
|M.S.||30–31||Thesis||Science or Geography minor required|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree in biology or a related field from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- statement of purpose describing your professional aspirations and rationale for pursuing graduate study in biology
- three letters of recommendation addressing the substance and quality of your preparation for graduate study
- thesis students only: mentor communication (intent to mentor letter) from a Biology Department faculty member. Visit the faculty list for current faculty and their research interests and contact information.
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
If you do not meet the scores above, you may qualify for English-based conditional admission if you meet the minimum scores below:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 59 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 5.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 5.5
Review important information about official test scores.