The post-professional program in athletic training is supported by accomplished faculty with varied areas of expertise in an academic division conducting state-of-the-art sports medicine research. Not only does the program offer advanced education in therapeutic exercise, manual therapy, neuromuscular control and evidence-based practice, but also provides an opportunity for self-exploration.
|Degree||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a university with regional and CAATE (Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education) accreditations. If your university is not CAATE-accredited, read additional details below.
- a copy of an official transcript from each four-year institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.0 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
Review the instructions for submitting your transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE scores not required
- certification showing you are a certified athletic trainer or eligible for the certification exam (especially if your degree is not from a CAATE-accredited institution)
- research interest form
- resume/CV including your education, certifications or licensures, professional affiliations, clinical education experiences and/or professional work experience, honors and awards, community service activities, and professional presentations/publications
- statement of purpose (maximum two pages) discussing why you have chosen to pursue graduate studies in athletic training at Texas State University, your goals for graduate study, and areas of research interest. Also include how the knowledge gained from this degree program will contribute to your future career and professional growth.
- three forms of recommendation with at least one form from an academic faculty member and one form from the certified athletic trainer who supervised the majority of your clinical experience
Review the instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU) to submit your documents. You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review the instructions for submitting your official test scores.