Ph.D. Program Director
Dr. Joellen Coryell
ASBS, Room 311
Contact for academic program-related issues
ASBS, Room 306
Contact for administrative support
The degree completion rate for the APCE program is 60% higher than the national average. The adult education faculty is internationally recognized for scholarship and leadership. The program cultivates a supportive and diverse learning community, with faculty working together on community engagement projects, research, and presentations and publishing in local, national and international venues.
|Degree||Course Work||Dissertation||Total Hours|
|Ph.D.||51 hours||12 hours||63 hours|
|Fall||February 1||February 1|
|Spring||No Admission||No Admission|
|Summer I||No Admission||No Admission|
|Summer II||No Admission||No Admission|
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- master's degree from a regionally accredited university in a field related to the proposed course of study
- a copy of an official transcript from each four-year institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 3.5 GPA in all completed graduate course work
Review the instructions for submitting your transcripts. Official transcripts will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE scores not required
Documents & Other Requirements
- interview with program faculty
- statement of purpose (approximately 500 words) describing your background and professional goals and including your rationale for pursuing a doctoral degree in adult, professional, and community education
- three forms of recommendation addressing professional and academic background. References are required to use the program's Professional Reference Evaluation form and are also strongly encouraged to attach a recommendation letter to the form.
Review the instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU) to submit your documents. You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Non-native English speakers who do not qualify for an English proficiency waiver:
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall and minimum individual module scores of
- 19 listening
- 19 reading
- 19 speaking
- 18 writing
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review the instructions for submitting your official test scores.