Adult, Professional, and Community Education
The program has a dedicated, learner-centered faculty who are leaders in the field and who also enjoy a culture of collaboration and collegiality with their students. The program focuses on reflective practice, emphasizing both theory and skills to become more effective practitioners and leaders. With night, hybrid, and online courses, the program accommodates all schedules.
|Degree||Concentration||Hours||Thesis Option||Minor Option|
|M.A.||Adult ESL||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.A.||Adult ESL||39||Thesis||No minor|
|M.A.||Work, Community and Continuing Education||36||Non-Thesis||No minor|
|M.A.||Work, Community and Continuing Education||39||Thesis||No minor|
The items required for admission consideration are listed below. Additional information for applicants with international credentials can be found on our international web pages.
Transcripts & GPA
- baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited university
- a copy of an official transcript from each institution where course credit was granted
- minimum 2.75 GPA in your last 60 hours of undergraduate course work (plus any completed graduate courses)
Review important information about transcripts. Official transcripts, sent directly from your institution, will be required if admission is granted.
- GRE scores not required
- three letters of recommendation from individuals with knowledge of you as a student or as a professional
- writing sample (maximum 1,000 words) discussing a major issue currently confronting adult education. Please draw on your own experiences, detailing your position on the subject.
Review important information about documents, including the submission instructions for using the Graduate Admissions Document Upload tool (GADU). You will have access to GADU after you submit your ApplyTexas application and activate your Texas State NetID.
TOEFL or IELTS Scores
Applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the minimum program requirements below unless they have earned a bachelor’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or the equivalent from a country on our exempt countries list.
- official TOEFL iBT scores required with a 78 overall and minimum individual module scores of
- 19 listening
- 19 reading
- 19 speaking
- 18 writing
- official IELTS (academic) scores required with a 6.5 overall and
- minimum individual module scores of 6.0
This program does not offer admission if the scores above are not met.
Review important information about official test scores.