Academic Success Workshop
International students, learn how to acclimate to the American Higher Education System!
In collaboration with the International Office, The Graduate College is pleased to announce our newest workshop geared specifically towards international graduate students. This workshop will provide information regarding communication skills, academic ethics, and course structure within the framework of the U.S. higher education system. Bring your course syllabi for a hands-on exploration of the this document — and stick around after the event for a little socializing/information networking!
Door prizes and refreshments will also be provided! Register today, as space is limited!
Who: international graduate students
When: Friday, August 31 from 3:30–6:30 p.m.
Where: LBJ Student Center, Room 3-14.1
Why: foster success and development in your graduate studies at Texas State
|3:15–3:30 p.m.||Check-in + Welcome|
|3:30–4:30 p.m.||Presentation: Peer-to-Peer and Professor-to-Student Communication Etiquette|
|4:30–4:45 p.m.||Break + Snacks|
|4:45–5:45 p.m.||Panel: the International Student Experience at #TXST|
|5:45–6:15 p.m.||Roundtable: Hands-on Syllabus Review|
|6:15–6:30 p.m.||Overview of Graduate College Services + Closing Remarks|
|6:30+ p.m.||Informal Networking|
- student-to-teacher communication
- when and how often to email
- when and how to communicate outside of the classroom
- academic ethics
- what is plagiarism and how to avoid it
- how to avoid cheating
- explanations of course structure and content
- differences between lecture, lab and seminar courses
- descriptions and expectations of course content (examinations, assignments, syllabus)
- cultural and social norms
- personal experiences of current Texas State international graduate students
If you require accommodations due to a disability in order to participate, please contact 512.245.2281 at least 72 hours in advance of the event.
Texas State is a tobacco-free campus.