On-Campus Graduate Orientation
Register for New Graduate Student Orientation!
Every fall, we hold an on-campus orientation to introduce you to key policies, services, and events around campus. The Fall 2018 New Graduate Student Orientation will take place on August 15, 2018. In the meantime, we encourage you to review our online orientation, download a copy of our 2017–2018 Graduate Student Handbook and/or watch our welcome video. If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us. We wish you the best as you embark on your graduate studies!
NEW in 2018: For those unable to attend the on-campus orientation, we will be live-streaming the program! Select this option when you register.
Date: Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Time: 4:30 – 8:30 p.m.
Place: LBJ Student Center Ballroom (LBJSC)
The LBJSC is currently under construction. Please review the new vehicle and pedestrian entrances during this time.
Parking: Matthews Street Garage is the designated garage for orientation.
In order to avoid paying for parking, we highly encourage you to order your permit online as soon as possible so it arrives at your home before orientation.
Who: graduate students admitted during the Fall 2018 terms: spring, summer, fall. Family members and friends are not permitted inside the ballroom, but are welcome to wait in the lounge area on the fourth floor of LBJSC.
New Graduate Student Orientation is designed to provide you with helpful information and contacts to enhance your academic experience at Texas State. During the program, we will discuss various topics including transitioning to graduate studies, scholarships, research and travel support, library services, mentoring, student resources, emergency services, campus safety, career services, and Graduate College policies and procedures. Graduate advisors and representatives from other student support offices will be available to answer your questions.
Participate in our social media contest — be on the lookout for #GCWelcome!
|Check-in||4:30 – 6:30 p.m.|
|Support Services Showcase||4:30 – 6 p.m.|
|Dinner (Muffuletta vegetarian sandwich, chips, potato salad, and rice crispy treat)||5:30 – 6:30 p.m.|
|Program (Live-stream available!)||6:30 – 7:30 p.m.|
|Meet with graduate advisors||7:30 – 8:30 p.m.|
IT Assistance Center (ITAC)
Office of Disability Services
Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships
Office of Veteran Affairs
Round Rock Campus
Student Health Center
Student Learning Assistance Center (SLAC)
Study Abroad Office
Student Business Services
Student Recreation Center
The Graduate House
The Graduate College – General
The Graduate College – Funding
The Graduate College Deans Meet and Greet
- Order your parking permit ahead of time and have it mailed to your house, so you can receive your permit before orientation and avoid paying for parking.
- Plan your schedule. A few important offices will be open later to accommodate New Graduate Student Orientation, so arrive by 4:30 p.m. to find parking, meet the graduate deans, and visit with other student support offices!
- get your books at the University Bookstore on the second floor of LBJSC. The bookstore will be open until 6 p.m.
- obtain your Texas State ID card, the BobcatCard. ID Services is located on the second floor of LBJSC next to the bookstore. Make sure to bring government-issued photo identification for verification. ID Services will be open until 6:30 p.m. In order to get your ID, you will need to be registered for classes. Therefore, if your program has asked you to wait to register for classes, you may not be able to take care of these items on August 15.
- visit with various student support services on the second floor in the Lair.
- Encourage family members and friends to explore San Marcos while you attend orientation. Downtown San Marcos and the Square offer opportunities to eat, shop, and listen to live music! They are also welcome to wait in the lounge on the fourth floor of the LBJSC.
|Accounting||Saturday, August 25||9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.||McCoy Hall (MCOY)|
|Accounting and Information Technology||Saturday, August 25||9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.||McCoy Hall (MCOY)|
|Athletic Training||Thursday, August 2 and Friday, August 3||all day||Jowers Center (JOW)|
|Business Administration||Saturday, August 25||9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.||McCoy Hall (MCOY)|
|Communication Design||Saturday, August 25||10 a.m. – 1 p.m.||Joan Cole Mitte (JCM), Room 2112|
|Communication Studies||Wednesday August 22 (Tentative)||3:30 p.m. (Tentative)||Centennial Hall (CENT), Room 206|
|Criminal Justice (Doctoral)||Thursday, August 16||3 – 6 p.m.||Hines Academic Center (HINE), Room 102|
|Developmental Education (Doctoral)||Wednesday, August 22 (Tentative)||5 – 9 p.m.||Academic Services Building North (ASBN), Room 408|
|Engineering||Thursday, August 23||11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.||Roy F. Mitte (RFM), Room 5242|
|Human Nutrition||Thursday, August 23||9 a.m. – noon||Family and Consumer Sciences (FCS), Room 135|
|Human Resource Management||Saturday, August 25||9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.||McCoy Hall (MCOY)|
|Legal Studies||Thursday, September 6||5 p.m.||Undergraduate Academic Center (UAC), Room 379|
|Materials Science, Engineering, and Commercialization||Wednesday, August 22||TBD||TBD|
|Public Administration||Saturday, September 8||10 – 11 a.m.||Undergraduate Academic Center (UAC), Room 105|
|Social Work||Wednesday, August 15||2 – 4 p.m.||Encino Hall, Room 145|
|Theatre (MFA with concentrations in design, directing, and dramatic writing)||Wednesday, August 22||10 a.m. – noon||Theatre Center (THEA) 100|
If you require accommodations due to a disability in order to participate, please contact 512.245.2281 at least 72 hours in advance of the event.
Texas State is a tobacco-free campus.