On June 15, 1935, the Board of Regents, recognizing the need to offer graduate-level opportunities in the field of education, authorized the formation of a Graduate School at Southwest Texas State Teachers College.
The Board of Regents in 1935 were:
Dr. C. E. Evans was the president of Southwest Texas State Teachers College at this time.
In the late 1930's the Southwest Texas State Teachers College Graduate School began by offering a Master of Arts degree and a major in Education. This major emphasized the areas of "administration, supervision, and more effective classroom teaching." The Master of Arts was approved because of the growing demand by people from the surrounding areas and the public school systems.
In the 1936 summer session, the first courses were offered for the Master of Arts degree. In 1938-39 majors were offered in the following fields: Education, Social Science, Science and Mathematics, and in Language and Literature within the Master of Arts degree. Students could now major in areas other than Education.
Margaret McClung Walker received the first MA degree conferred during the commencement ceremony held in May 1937. Rosa Commander received the second MA degree conferred during the August 1937 commencement ceremony.
Chairman of the Graduate Council:
During 1947 the Registrar of the College was also given the title of Dean of Graduate Studies. The dean was also given the responsibility of chairing the Graduate Council. The Registrar's office handled admissions procedures. In 1950, the Graduate College was separated from the Office of the Registrar. Claude Elliott stayed as the Dean of Graduate Studies, while J. Lloyd Read became the Registrar.
Dean of Graduate Studies and Chairman of the Graduate Council:
The Dean of Graduate Studies became known as the Dean of the Graduate School in 1966.
Dean of the Graduate School and Chairman of the Graduate Council:
The Graduate School became known as Graduate Studies and Research in 1981.
Dean of Graduate Studies and Research and Chair of the Graduate Council:
The name of the Graduate Studies and Research was changed back to the Graduate School in 1992.
Dean of the Graduate School and Chair of the Graduate Council:
On September 1, 1999, the Graduate School name was changed to the Graduate College.
Dean of the Graduate College and Chair of the Graduate Council:
The Graduate College currently administers all of the admission procedures for students seeking a post-graduate course of study including in the following categories: non-degree, certification, master’s degree and doctoral degree. The duties of the Dean of the Graduate College also include certifying students who have met graduation requirements for a degree.
In 1996, the first doctoral program was authorized by the Board of Regents, in geographic education and environmental geography.
In 2000, the first doctorates were awarded, to Dr. Lisa DeChano (now Lisa DeChano-Cook) and Dr. Todd Votteler.
Today The Graduate College offers over 100 graduate master’s and doctoral programs in the following colleges: Applied Arts, Education, Fine Arts and Communication, Health Professions, Liberal Arts, McCoy College of Business Administration and Science and Engineering. Our nationally recognized graduate programs draw applicants from across the country and around the globe. Our faculty members are renowned teachers and active researchers.